top of page

Fire Safety Advice for Property Owners

As a property owner, ensuring the safety of your tenants from fire hazards is not just a moral responsibility but also a legal one. Here's a simplified guide to help you navigate the essentials:

Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms:

  • Every privately rented property should have a smoke alarm on every level (excluding mezzanines).

  • Rooms with fireplaces using solid fuels (like coal or wood) must have a carbon monoxide alarm.

  • Ensure alarms are functional at the start of each tenancy. Failing to do so could result in a fine up to £5,000.

  • After tenancy begins, tenants should test alarms monthly.

Types of Properties Covered:

  • Flats and houses

  • Boats

  • Mobile homes

  • Caravans

Shared Buildings:

  • If you own a flat in a shared building with a share of the freehold, you might need a Fire Risk Assessment for common areas. This includes checking shared spaces like hallways and stairs for fire hazards.

Houses with Multiple Occupants:

  • Properties shared by at least three unrelated individuals (e.g., students or professionals) require a detailed fire risk assessment. This focuses on safety aspects like escape routes.

Blocks of Flats:

Safety Tips for Tenants:

  • While landlords should ensure alarms are working at tenancy start, tenants should test them monthly.

  • Tenants should also be familiar with general home fire safety advice.

Guest Accommodations:

  • If you offer accommodation to paying guests (like B&Bs, guesthouses, or self-catering accommodations), you need a Fire Risk Assessment.

  • This helps identify fire risks and ensures guests can safely evacuate during a fire.

Commercial Landlords:

  • If you rent out to businesses, fire safety is typically the employer's duty. However, if you manage common areas or if the lease specifies landlord responsibility, you might need a Fire Risk Assessment.

Additional Resources:

  • Many fire and rescue services offer free home fire safety visits. Consider recommending these to your tenants for tailored advice.

  • Please visit for further information and advice.

While this guide covers properties in England, rules may vary in Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland. Always stay informed and prioritise the safety of your tenants.

bottom of page